Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog Post 11

Ms. Cassidy's Class

First I have to say how amazed I was by all the things that these first graders were doing. They were using technology in ways that I didn't even know about until this EDM310 course. And they were enjoying themselves. They weren't complaining about their work, they were having fun. I feel that is very important for our students. If they enjoy their assignments they are going to try harder and do their best.

The interview with Ms. Cassidy was very interesting. I was shocked to find out that she started using technology on her own and was not forced to. She was given five computers and was determined to find a way to use them for learning purposes in her classroom. She set out on a mission and she completed that mission. This is something that I have learned to do in EDM310. Dr. Strange gives us assignments and he expects us to use the internet to find the answers to our questions. Seeing that Ms. Cassidy did this and how far she has came in her classroom gives me hope that it is possible to learn how to use technology on my own.

I also liked what she said about her students work on their blogs. Having a blog gives the student an audience for their work. They know they aren't just writing for the teacher. They know other people from around the world will read what they have written. I feel that this encourages the students to do their best and try harder. She also talked about how reading each others blogs or web pages isn't cheating. It's collaborating. The internet has made it possible for us to view each other's work and get ideas and she says this is okay. I agree. Reading other people's work can be an inspiration and a helpful tool when trying to find ideas for your own work.

I am very impressed with how much Ms. Cassidy is doing with her first graders. She had an idea and she wasn't afraid to use it. Her video has showed me that using technology in the classroom is possible at any age. And that if we try hard enough and want to learn that we all can be technology literate.
kidsinclassroomusingtechnology

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like EDM has led you to a place where you seek answers using your own detective skills before you ask others. That is such an important quality in a great colleague and student!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have learned a lot in EDM. I still have a lot to learn, but I am trying to figure things out on my own before asking for help. I feel like I learn more this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...gives me hope that it is possible to learn how to use technology on my own." It is already happening. That is evident from your comment in response to Anthony.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krissy,
    I was also amazed by what these first graders were doing. Like you I was unaware of most of this technology until this class. I am happy to hear that you are learning all the new tools at our fingertips. This class is very empowering if you let it be. I as well am learning how to do things by trying to find the information online. If I get stumped I try to google it first and attempt to figure it out before I ask for help. But it is nice to know that there is a support team there for us when we hit a well and are not sure about what to do next.
    Great Post.

    ReplyDelete