Sunday, July 3, 2011

C4T #3

I read What Ed Said. The first blog post I read was a conference for kids. This teacher attended the IB Conference in March and thinks that schools should have a conference day for students. Ed wrote a previous blog after last year's conference and another teacher read it and it inspired her to have a conference at her own school. The conference was a success. Ed could not sell the idea at her own school to have a conference until recently. She has now been given the opportunity to hold a conference for the students at his school. She is in the planning process.

I think it is awesome that one blog post can lead to change in another school. I feel inspired to continue to blog when I become a teacher and read ideas that other teachers and educators have.

The second blog post I read was 10 Things I have learned about leading.... In this post she lists ten things she has learned in her new role as Teaching and Learning Coordinator. The ten items she lists are: Vision, Courage, Creativity, Resilience, Empathy, Reflection, Collaboration, Communication, Initiative, Persistence, and Humility.

The three items form her list that really hit home with me were:
mirrorwithwordsselfreflection


Reflection - Admit when you are wrong and apologize. Too often we are too prideful to admit we are wrong and especially to apologize to the person or people we hurt or offended by our wrong doing. I feel as a future teacher reflection will become a very important part of my life.
Initiative - If you have an idea run with it. Don't wait for a better time. This was a very good point. If you have what you think is a good idea don't be scared to try it. Don't wait for permission or for another time.
Humility - Ask for help, get advice, you don't have to take credit for an idea. I have to admit there have been times when I was too stubborn to ask for help. I was too embarrassed of what someone might say because I didn't know how to do something. We are never too old to learn we shouldn't be ashamed to admit we need help sometimes. And like Ed said "If something is worthwhile you don't need your name on it. It's not about who gets the credit." This is so true. If you have an idea that helps students or anyone else you shouldn't be concerned about getting the credit for it. Just be excited that your idea was used and was used to better someone.

I really enjoyed reading this blog and plan to visit it more in the future. I also hope to use this blog as a guiding tool in how I act as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment