Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

All About Me

Hi my name is Krissy Mennicucci. I am 26 years old and I am majoring in Elementary Education. I was born in Foley, AL and have lived in Elsanor my entire life. For those of you who do not know where Elsanor is, it is a small town outside of Robertsdale. When people ask where I am from I usually just say Robertsdale. I am married and I have three wonderful children: an eleven year old stepson, a five year old son and a two year old daughter. I love my children very much. My life revolves around them and I spend every second I get with them. Enjoying time with my family is what I like best. We love to go to the park or spend a day at the beach. I love music. I listen to almost every radio station available, it all depends on the mood I am in at the moment. I chose to attend USA because of the feedback I have heard from other students who have graduated from USA in the education field. I hope my time at USA is very successful and rewarding.

Many people ask me why I am going to school to become a teacher when the economy in Alabama is in the shape it is in and the number of teacher jobs available are far and few. My dream to become an elementary education teacher started when I was in the second grade. I hated school during my kindergarten and first grade years. It wasn't until I was in second grade when I began to enjoy school. Seeing the difference my teacher made in me, made me decide I wanted to make a difference in another child's life. I have worked with children in the past and I love the feeling I get when I see them smile or when I teach them something new. If I make a difference in one child's life through teaching, I will feel like I have achieved my goal in life.

Time Management

I found Dr. Pausch's video on time management to be very helpful. He states that planning and list making are important parts of time management. Just because you have a plan doesn't mean you have to always stick to the plan. Plans and lists can change, but you can only change a plan if you have one. A plan or a list will help keep you focused and help you manage your time more effectively. Listening to his video helps me better understand how important it is to manage my time wisely and to be a doer not a procrastinator.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Krissy,

    I am from a small town as well. So I understand just giving in and saying that you are from Robertsdale. I would always reference the distance to the closest city. Now that I live in Mobile, I am not sure what to say. How far are you into your degree?
    I would like to wish you luck in reaching your goals. From what you’ve written I believe you will make an excellent teacher. We should all aspire to make a difference in our future. Also, as a future secondary teacher, I would love for all elementary teachers to feel the way you do.
    Concerning Dr. Pausch's video, I do agree with you. Especially with this class we have all got to be doers and not procrastinators. Using our checklist we have a plan that is flexible enough to work with and keep us on track.

    Good luck,
    Bobbi Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use the hundreds of radio stations on iTunes? What about Pandora? How times have changed for radio buffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krissy,

    It is good to see that you have chosen South Alabama for your education career. I hope that you will not only find this class useful, but I hope it will be a lot of fun too!

    I hope that you will take Dr. Pausch's suggestions to heart. This class is brutal if you are not organized in some way.

    Good luck this semester, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete