Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blog Post 6

Networked Student

This video really gives me a better understanding of how much you can use the internet for learning. It shows how a student doesn't need a textbook to do his/her work, all they need is the internet. They can search and find important information on almost any subject. One link usually leads to another and another and it just keeps going. The internet is full of helpful information and is becoming more and more useful everyday.

Even though Wendy Drexler's video shows how a student learns on their own using the internet and no book , it does ask the question "Why does a networked student need a teacher?" Then the video goes on to explain that the teacher is needed to help the student along when they get lost. When he or she isn't sure which resource to use. The teacher is the one who get the student started in the right direction.

I have to say that being a teacher in the 21st century is not going to be everything I pictured, just using pen and paper. I have a lot to learn to be able to teach a networked student. This class has taught me quite a few things so far and I hope it teaches me so much more. I really hope that I can learn and prepare myself for all I need to know to be a networked teacher.

A 7th Grader's PLE

Wow this 7th grade student sure does know a lot about how to use the internet for school. Her PLE is very organized and to me very impressive. She does use some of the same websites we have used in EDM 310, but she has so many more she uses. I hope to become familiar with many more and create a PLN that is as organized and useful as hers is.

studentsusinginteractivewhiteboard' title=


Critiques of Smartboards

I myself still have not learned enough about interactive whiteboards to use them, but after reading several comments about them I do know that the opinions that teachers have vary greatly. Some teachers think they are amazing and are very useful, while others think they cost way too much money and are not any more effective in teaching then a regular whiteboard.

In the first 4 blog post I read all 3 teachers were against IWBs. They said they cost too much money and for the amount you spend on one IWB you could buy several more or or any other interactive, portable device. They say that IWBs take too much time to learn how to use them effectively. They also argue the point that anything that can be done on a IWB can be done using other computer programs that they already have in their classrooms.

In the last blog I read, InteractiveWhiteboards, the teachers love their interactive whiteboards. Several teachers comments and each one of them said that their IWB was very useful. That it doesn't require them to write as much and that the student find the lessons to be more interesting. They also stated that IWBs give you more flexibility and more opportunities then a regular whiteboard.

1 comment:

  1. "I have to say that being a teacher in the 21st century is not going to be everything I pictured, just using pen and paper." That's why we have EDM310. To open your eyes and the eyes of others.

    Soon you will have to know how to use Smartboards!

    ReplyDelete