Monday, June 27, 2011

Blog Post 8

This Is How We Dream
asignsaysdoyouhaveadream? title=



Richard E Miller's videos This is How We Dream Part I and Part II, show a reality of just how much can be produced using just the internet, no pen or paper. DR. Miller discusses several pieces of his work that he has created using the internet. He demonstrates how you can create an article with more then words. In his articles he includes video as well as audio. His articles are very informative and he makes them interesting for his students or any other viewers to watch.

I feel Dr. Miller made a good point when he said many lectures are being posted on the internet without being post-edited. This statement is true. You can put a lecture on the internet for a student to listen to or even watch, but if it is as boring and plain as reading it from a book it hasn't served it's purpose. The technology is available today to add audio and video to our lectures or any other article we post online. We should be using our resources and making the best of our work.

I cannot say I am prepared to write with multimedia, but I hope that by the time I am in my own classroom and have my own students I am able to write successfully without using pen and paper. I have learned several new skills in EDM310 and hope to learn many more. I hope I learn enough so I can be a good teacher to my students.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post #12
pictureofyoutubeplaylist



Carly did an excellent job in her #12 blog post. She used the ideas Dr. Miller shared in his videos and created a very interesting and informative article. You were able to use her links to view the videos she was describing. This allows you to form your own opinion on the video, not just take her word on something. I think she created a great assignment. I feel encouraged to explore You Tube more and find videos that can be helpful to me and my future career as a teacher.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies

Both of these videos give you a true prospective of how EDM310 can make you feel. EDM310 is different then any other course I have ever taken. I entered the class thinking it wouldn't be so hard and I really didn't have to spend 16 hours a week on my assignments. I was wrong. I procrastinated just as Chipper did. Procrastinating is not the way to do your work. I also felt crazy and overwhelmed with the assignments we were assigned. But fortunately, just like in EDM 310 for Dummies I am learning to use the resources I have available to help me and am beginning to understand more and more about the internet. And I am actually enjoying completing my assignments.

I think an interesting video to make would be on the importance of coming to the lab for help. In the video a student could be at home trying to do their work and not be able to complete the assignment because they are unsure of what they are required to do. Then the student goes to the lab and a lab assistant helps them and explains the steps in the assignment to them. Going to the lab has helped me and I feel if other people saw how helpful the lab assistants can be they would probably go more often.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

Wow, these are actual teachers who feel the way we teach in the classroom should change. These teachers see that it's not just about what is learned in the classroom, but what is learned outside the classroom as well. The 21st century student is already accustomed to technology. Why can't we as teachers allow them to use what they are comfortable with and already know to teach them more? The point one teach made was we only have a classroom connection when we could have a community connection. This is so true. Allowing our students to use technology will provide them with outside sources and connect them to the rest of the world. Another point made was how the jobs our students are going to be preforming when they are grown are going to require them to be able to find and communicate information, not just repeat the information they have spent their whole school career memorizing. I agree completely. If our students cannot find information on their own and don't know how to communicate it to others, how are they going to make it in the workplace? It is our job as future teachers to make sure our students are prepared to work outside of the classroom. This requires us as teachers to know how and accept that we need more then just a pen and a piece of paper. We need technology and we need to learn to use it correctly and effectively.

4 comments:

  1. "I think an interesting video to make would be on the importance of coming to the lab for help." This would make a really good Project 16. Talk to your group about doing it! And post-edit your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy, I think a video about coming to the lab for help would be a great idea. It makes a huge difference when you have someone there to answer your questions, not to mention the extra motivation to finish your work. I think it is so easy to get distracted if you try to do your work at home, with TV and friends over and everything else that is involved. I think you could pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krissy,

    I am glad that you have gotten something from the Chipper Series. We all have procrastinated on something before in our lives. But, now that you have so many new tools to use, you can be more organized and I think that is key.

    I'm glad that you would choose to do a video on help from the lab. I be that would be a blockbuster hit!

    Good post Krissy,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with procrastination a great deal. I am trying hard to catch myself when I begin to procrastinate and remind myself that there isn't time for it. Hopefully I will get much better soon.

    ReplyDelete